my blog

Friday, September 8, 2017

Reactions to videos for Mod# 3

There are infinite uses of technology. Through using technology, both teachers and students can share knowledge, communicate efficiently, create our own learning community and, most importantly, take an active role on our learning. I watched two videos related to why technology is of importance to implement in our classroom-- it allows us to acquire tomorrow's skills today. The followings include my reactions and thoughts of those two videos.

The first video I watched is The Future Starts Now, which is about information and communication technology (ICT) in education. It provides insightful points on reasons for keeping technology in education, instead of keeping out. Students will feel interested and motivated to learn based on their interests, learn things in a different way, and, therefore, reduce the dropout rate. Though technology can help students' learning and cultivate skills that students need in future, I would say it may be oversimplify students' lack of interests in their learning. There are other reasons that cause students' dropout in schools, such as economic issues and peer pressure-- technology cannot be an effective treatment for those students.

Another video I watched is A Vision of 21st Century Teachers, focusing on numerous benefits of using technology in class. One of the points-- every student speak up even the shy one-- mentioned in this video truly opens my eyes. I have not thought that technology somehow provides chances for every students to speak up in an interactive community. I believe this can definitely benefit those students who are timid and need more time to think in class. I retrospect to my learning experience, I found out using technology, such as blog, and online discussion broad, is an more effective way for me to express my thoughts. Through using technology, I feel less nervous with expressing my thoughts because I know nobody will argue or confront with me in person. After watching this, it made me think about how to incorporate technology to curriculum wisely and how to create a place where everyone has equal chance to use it and to speak up for themselves.

To conclude, technology brings learning toward learner-centered. We all know it is important to incorporate technology to students' learning; however, other important things should also be considered are: how to use it smartly? how to let every student has equal chance to use it?

6 comments:

  1. I have often found that many of the most introverted students perk up when I bring out the Chromecarts because they know they can work or participate in a way that is more conformable than the usual classroom setting. While it is important for students to utilize skills to contribute in all settings (with or without technology), providing multiple platforms helps all students for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that technology can be comforting for those who don't raise their hand very often. When I was student teaching, the lead teacher used KidsBlog with her fourth grade class so they could respond to a writing prompt. The students were allowed to create their own username which allowed their posts to be anonymous. This created an even safer environment for students to share what they are thinking and without the feeling of "judgement" from the other students. We also found that the students responses were longer and more detailed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you provided an insightful point-- anonymous posts from students, which allows students to express themselves bravely and freely without being afraid of hurting others' feelings. I like this point😊

      Delete
  3. Hi Lin,
    I agree students can drop out of school for many socioeconomic reasons that which technology or Facebook can't address.
    Can we give all students "equal" chances to access technology if schools fail to provide them? Does a student have to choose either food or buy an expensive device? Isn't it interesting when a new iPhone comes out and the price is only 900+ dollars. Who says education for all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anwar, I do agree with you that technology may not provide equal chances for all students to learn. Some of the articles I read even illustrate that technology somehow enlarges gaps between people because some people do not have access to those technologies. However, I think nothing is perfect and we should admit that technology does bring new ways of learning.

      Delete
  4. Hi,
    I am glad you pointed out that there are more reasons than not using technologies in classroom that could cause high dropout rate and students demotivated. And I think that is also the reason why this video sounds more like a personal appeal to use ICT in classroom. In order to keep the consistence of the video and to create a personal narrative aura in the video, I think the negligence of other causes can somewhat be justified, but as a government institution, I believe it also holds responsible for providing more critical information.

    ReplyDelete