my blog

Friday, September 15, 2017

A comparison: Pinterest vs Diigo

What kinds of social media have you used? Which social media platforms are more preferable for leisure business? After using Diigo and Pinterest, I found out both of them provide useful but different functions for users. The followings are about those usefulness and differences on Diigo and Pinterest.

First, both of them give users a platform to organize information they are interested in for future use.  Diigo, a social bookmarking, allows users to save links, write down notes, and highlight texts if needed. It is time-saving for users of Diigo to look back for important information. As for Pinterest, users can use it as a curating, create various boards to organize topics. In short, users can use Diigo and Pinterest to categorize information that they are into. 

Moreover, though both of them enable users to save information that they are interested in, I would say Diigo seems more academic than Pinterest. Diigo is more suitable for the professional to save links for future use because users can just look back those notes that they have taken. Also, users can get main points of articles by viewing descriptions they made. Unlike Diigo, Pinterest can only show images associated with the page. Users will only see images at first sight and, therefore, it would be difficult for users to show and get too many details or information on merely an image; however, it would be good for users to share and follow what they like in their daily lives, which, in my point of view, is more similar to Facebook or Instagram-- for leisure use. 

The following chart compares distinguishing features of Pinterest and Diigo :







Can you highlight text in saved sites?
No.
Yes,
users can highlight texts and write down notes.
Can you use multiple tags?
No.
Yes.
Can you copy and paste from original article to appear in comments about site?
Yes.
Yes.
Can others post comments on your site?
Yes.
Yes.
Can you follow others? 
Can they follow you?
Yes.
Yes.
Can you message people you follow?
Yes.
Yes.
Are you offered suggestions for related articles?
Yes.
Yes.
Would you continue to use either of these?  Which?  Why?
I would use Pinterest to record what I am interested in for my leisure time. As for Diigo, if I am a master degree student again or doing some research for academic purposes, I would definitely use Diigo.

To sum up, both Pinterest and Diigo provide interaction environment for users to share resources and make comments. It is definitely beneficial for teachers to gain information they want, and for students to interact with their classmates through either creating a group on Diigo or commenting on classmates' posts on Pinterest. I believe both of them have potential for educational use.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you see it as a shortcoming that you only see the image on Pinterest. That has long been a beef of mine. I sometimes want some text and other times I find that the page is nothing but the picture when I think it is going to be an article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the organization of your blog, especially the comparison table between Pinterest in Diigo- this is a quick and easy reference! I look forward to starting my 4th mod. now that I have some background :-)

    ReplyDelete