my blog

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Digital native or digital immigrant?

After watching video "Digital Native vs. Digital Immigrant" by Sree Sreenivasan, I feel, most of the time, I am a digital native. Sreeivasan defines digital natives as those who "Are born into a hyper-connected world and they believe everything should be on demand in real time." I do born in this kinds of hyper-connected world, know the potential of technology, and feel frustrated if the technology is not used in both my studies and real life.

However, in the meantime, I would rather say I feel a bit uncomfortable (not frustrated) with not knowing how to use technology myself. I am afraid of embracing technology, but sometimes I am a bit lazy to learn how to use a new technology if there is nobody showing me how to use it. Therefore, it is a bit difficult for me to keep up with the latest technology.

To sum up, I like the conclusion made by Sreenivasan, "Let's look at each individual one at a time and consider what they bring to the table no matter what the age is." Indeed, what matters is not what age a person is or where they are coming from, but what a person can do to make this world better.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the idea of looking at each person as an individual. I think if we lump people together as digital learners we are not doing them any service just like we would differentiate other types of learning in our classroom.

    ReplyDelete